Travel — Ireland
Galway & West Coast, Ireland
— Galway Arts Festival
— Galway International Oyster Festival
— Galway Races
Fun Galway Attractions
Galway City is often referred to as "the most Irish of all Irish cities." It's a great place to stroll the streets and listen to lively music — and they've got great seafood too! Fun Galway attractions include:
- Galway Arts Center
- Galway Arts Festival
- Galway Cathedral
- officially-named "Cathedral of our Lady Assumed into Heaven & St. Nicholas"
- Galway City Museum
- Galway International Oyster Festival
- Galway Irish Crystal Heritage Center
- Glassmaking demos, shop & restaurant
- Galway Races
- Lynch's Castle
- Nora Barnacle House
- Nora lived here; she later married famed Irish writer and poet James Joyce. (Letters, photos and exhibits of their life are on display)
- St. Nicholas' Collegiate Church
- Galway's oldest church (it is believed that Christopher Columbus prayed here
in 1477 before one of his voyages)
"Not-to-be-missed" West Coast of Ireland attractions include the spectacular Cliffs of Moher (located along Ireland's rugged west coastline), Connemara (one of Ireland's most picturesque regions), and The Burren (one of Ireland's most magnificent and unique natural wonders).
Galway Arts Festival
Rich in culture, the city's
Galway Arts Festival takes place every July, drawing over 150,000 people, including writers, artists, performers and musicians. It's a fun time to visit Galway!
The Galway Races takes place annually at Galway Race Course in Ballybrit, County Galway — the popular Irish horse-racing festival draws over 150,000 people and runs for seven consecutive days, starting on the last Monday of July.
The Galway International Oyster Festival takes place on the last weekend of September and draws thousands of visitors each year.
Feast on Gourmet Food and Oysters, Fine Wine and Guinness... and enjoy live entertainment.
The event features the Guinness Irish Oyster Opening Championship, Oyster Pearl Competition, Mardi Gras Party, Oyster Tasting and Oyster Festival Gala Ball.
Galway & West Coast
Cliffs of Moher